Whether it is your home or your business, there are situations where the lock(s) should be changed. The change to a lock could be a simple inexpensive rekeying of the lock instead of a physical change – a new lock. Why should you consider any change to your locks – home or office? Which should you choose – rekey or physical change?
No matter which environment, home or office, there are several considerations as to why locks should be changed.
- Unless you are the first homeowner or occupant, consider a change to the locks. For example, buying a new previously owned home, you don’t know who had the keys? The owner, the kids, the neighbour, grandma? There could be many keys out there you won’t know about.
- Locks that are not in good condition or working properly should be changed for the security of your home or business.
- You need to increase the security with a better quality lock.
- Change the look of the lock. If you have done renovations, does the lock still match the home?
Do you choose to rekey the existing lock(s) or do you replace the lock(s)? There are some situations where this decision is easy.
Rekey The Locks
To rekey an existing lock your experienced trusted locksmith will visit your home. This is an inexpensive solution but it is very important to choose a trusted locksmith. Rekeying is the process of changing the tumbler of the lock and creating new keys. This means that old keys will no longer work. Keep in mind that not all locks can be rekeyed.
When should you rekey a lock?
- If a lock is in good condition.
- You are satisfied with security.
Replace or Change The Locks
Choosing a new lock or locks (keep the same key for all doors) is an opportunity to consider options like:
- Your locks can’t be rekeyed
- The current locks are in poor condition.
- You need improved security in your home
- A higher-quality lock is required.
Changing a lock is not for everyone. It must be done correctly to ensure it functions properly and secures your home or business. Call your local Calgary locksmith to ensure the job is done right the first time. Your home will be secure. A professional locksmith can also help choose the correct lock for any situation. Locks are not all equal. Choosing the wrong lock can leave a home or business vulnerable.