Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you lost your key or broke it inside the lock? It can be a frustrating and stressful experience, especially if you don’t have a spare key. Fortunately, Calgary Rekey Lockworks has the skills and tools necessary to make a key from a lock. In this article, we will discuss the process of how locksmiths make a key from a lock and the factors that affect the cost of the service.
Understanding the Types of Locks
Before we delve into the process of making a key from a lock, it’s important to understand the different types of locks. There are two main types of locks: pin tumbler locks and wafer tumbler locks. Pin tumbler locks are the most common type of lock and are found in homes, offices, and vehicles. Wafer tumbler locks are commonly found in vehicles, filing cabinets, and padlocks.
Pin Tumbler Locks
Pin tumbler locks have a set of pins inside them that prevent the lock from turning without the correct key. Each pin is of a different length, and the key has a series of grooves that match the pins’ length. When the correct key is inserted, the pins line up, allowing the lock to turn.
Wafer Tumbler Locks
Wafer tumbler locks have a set of flat metal wafers inside them that prevent the lock from turning without the correct key. Each wafer has a different groove pattern, and the key has a series of grooves that match the wafer’s groove pattern. When the correct key is inserted, the wafers line up, allowing the lock to turn.
The Process of Making a Key from a Lock
Making a key from a lock involves a series of steps that require skill and precision. Here’s a step-by-step guide to the process:
Step 1: Examining the Lock
The first step is to examine the lock to determine the type of lock and its complexity. The locksmith will check the lock’s keyway, the shape and size of the keyhole, and determine the number of pins or wafers inside the lock.
Step 2: Creating a Key Blank
Once the locksmith has examined the lock, they will create a key blank that matches the lock’s keyway. A key blank is a key that has not been cut, and it’s used as a template for creating the final key.
Step 3: Impressioning
Impressioning is the process of creating a key by making a copy of the lock’s internal mechanism. The locksmith will insert the key blank into the lock and wiggle it around to create a pattern on the key blank that matches the lock’s internal mechanism.
Step 4: Cutting the Key
After impressioning the key blank, the locksmith will use a key-cutting machine to cut the key based on the pattern created during the impressioning process. The key-cutting machine will cut the key’s grooves and edges to match the lock’s pins or wafers.
Step 5: Testing the Key
The final step is to test the key to ensure it works correctly. The locksmith will insert the key into the lock and turn it to make sure the lock opens smoothly without any resistance.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Making a Key from a Lock
Several factors can affect the cost of making a key from a lock. These include:
- Type of lock: As mentioned earlier, there are different types of locks, and some are more complex than others, which can affect the cost of making a key.
- Time of day: Locksmiths may charge more for emergency services, especially if they have to work outside of their regular business hours.
- Geographic location: The cost of locksmith services may vary depending on the location. If you live in a busy city, the cost may be higher than in a rural area.
- Type of service: If you require additional services, such as lock repair or replacement, the cost may be higher.
It’s important to note that the cost of making a key from a lock can vary greatly depending on these factors, so it’s important to ask for a quote before agreeing to the service.
Losing your keys or breaking them inside the lock can be a stressful experience, but with the help of a locksmith, you can get back into your home, car, or office. The process of making a key from a lock involves examining the lock, creating a key blank, impressioning, cutting the key, and testing the key. It’s important to understand the types of locks and the factors that affect the cost of the service.
- Can any locksmith make a key from a lock?
- Not all locksmiths have the necessary skills or tools to make a key from a lock. It’s important to choose a reputable and experienced locksmith.
- How long does it take to make a key from a lock?
- The time it takes to make a key from a lock varies depending on the lock’s complexity and the locksmith’s skill level. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.
- Can a key be made from any type of lock?
- No, not all types of locks can have a key made from them. Some locks may require a replacement or repair.
- Can I make a key from a lock myself?
- It’s not recommended to make a key from a lock yourself, as it requires skill and precision. It’s best to leave it to the professionals at Calgary Rekey Lockworks.
- Is it expensive to make a key from a lock?
- The cost of making a key from a lock can vary greatly depending on several factors. It’s important to ask for a quote before agreeing to the service.