When your car locks itself due to a malfunction, it can be frustrating and even scary. Suddenly your car is acting strangely and won’t unlock. It’s important to know that this isn’t something to be alarmed about. Most of the time, car locksmiths can help you with this issue. Car key reprogramming is a process that requires the help of a professional locksmith. If you can’t find the key to your car, or you’re having trouble opening your car door, then a professional may be able to help. Lack of keys is one of the most common car lock issues, and it’s usually a result of losing them. The good news is that a locksmith can provide a Car Key Replacement in minutes. Here’s everything you need to know about getting a car key replaced.
Where to Find a Keysmith in Your Area
If you’re locked out of your car, then you’ve come to the right place. There are tons of locksmiths in your area that can help you get your car unlocked as soon as possible. If you’re worried about how much it will cost, don’t be. Most car locksmiths offer affordable prices, and some even offer free estimates so you know exactly what you’re getting into. It’s important to note that you shouldn’t try to open your own car lock with tools you can find around the house. It can cause serious damage to your car and could even risk your safety. Calgary Rekey Lockworks can ease your worries as the certified locksmith for AMA members.
Cost of a Car Key Replacement
The cost of a car key replacement depends on many factors. Key blanks, transponder chips, and passive remotes are all more expensive to replace than a standard key. The length of time you have your car key, as well as where you live, also plays a role in how much it costs to replace your key. Most locksmiths charge around $50 for a standard key replacement. If your key is broken off in your car’s lock, then the key reprogramming fee will usually be higher. If your key is broken off in your keyless remote, then the cost will vary depending on the make and model of your remote. Most locksmiths charge around $50 to reprogram a keyless remote. It’s important to know that not all car locksmiths are the same. They may charge different prices for different services, so it’s best to ask about pricing upfront.
How to Get Your Car Key Replaced
As mentioned earlier, the process of getting a car key replaced varies depending on the key type. Key blanks, transponder chips, and passive remotes can all be replaced by a locksmith at a key reprogramming shop. If you live in a condo or an apartment complex, then there’s a good chance your complex offers this service in-house.
- Find a car locksmith in your area. Calgary Rekey Lockworks is available for Calgary and all surrounding areas like Airdrie, Okotoks, Chestermere, and Cochrane to name a few.
- Don’t just shop around for the best price. Certified locksmiths may or may not charge you extra but you get the knowledge that the work will be done properly the first time. It’s important to know what you’re getting into before hiring a locksmith.
- Once you’ve found a reputable locksmith, make an appointment. Most locksmiths may offer same-day service, so be sure to ask.
- Follow the locksmith’s instructions when replacing your key. Don’t try to do it yourself. It can be dangerous, and you don’t have the experience to know what you’re doing.
What to Do After Your Car Key Is Replaced
If you’ve gotten your car key replaced by a locksmith, it’s important to keep it safe. Most car keys are usually made of metal, which makes them susceptible to breaking and bending. – Store your key in a safe place. You don’t have to be paranoid, but it’s better safe than sorry. – Don’t leave your key on a table or counter. It’s tempting to do this because your hand will be near it when you aren’t using it, but this can be dangerous. Your key is much more likely to get broken off if it’s sitting by itself.
- Don’t leave your key in the ignition. Some people like to do this because they assume it will keep their car from locking, but this is highly unadvised.
- Don’t give your key to anyone. If you’ve given your key to a friend, it’s crucial to let them know what to do with it.
- Don’t lose your key. If you lose your key, don’t panic. You can get it another one or get a rekey from the locksmith.
- Don’t leave your car unlocked. This is even more important than keeping your key safe.
Whether you’ve broken off the key in your keyless remote, or you misplaced your original key, it’s crucial to get your key replaced. The good news is that getting a car key replaced is an easy process. The key costs will vary depending on the key type, but most are around $50. If you’ve broken off the key in your remote, your key reprogramming cost will range from $50 to $100. Contact Calgary Rekey Lockworks to get a price quote (403) 477-5625.